Pages

May 17, 2011

It's the Simple Things...

Well, both of my hands are feeling much better this morning!  I am confident that the remainder of my week will be injury free.

As I told you in yesterday's post, I had Julianna this past Friday and Saturday for "Granny Camp".  We had a ball!  She has the sweetest disposition.  And I am not just saying that because she is my adorable granddaughter.  David and I cherish every moment we have with her!  On the way home from getting her, we always stop by his work so that she can see her Grandpa, and of course, he can take her through the shop and show her off.

I should tell you that after the previous weeks visit, when she had just started walking, we realized that we needed to update the toys in our house to keep her busy.  Toys have changed since our three were little!  Luckily, we had gone to visit our good friends, Nate and Kristen and their 1 year old son, Owen, (who happens to be the cutest little boy in my world right now!) to let the kids play together for a while.  Nate and Kristen are two of the best parents we have been around lately.  They are, obviously, much younger than us in age.  But they are equals when it comes to everything else!  I know I sound like my mom here, but parenting  has changed!  I could write another whole blog on that subject.  But for now, I will stick to the facts pertinent to this story.  In a world that seems to me to be very self-centered, even when it comes to parenting, Nate and Kristen stick out like the proverbial "sore thumb" as anything but.  They have had challenges from the get go (he was a preemie and had foot issues) and have put their son's well being as first priority!  They are the experts on bottom rashes and they had to deal with it with a child in two full length leg casts from day five of his life!  But again, that is yet another post!!

Back to the toys.  Kristen, a teacher, no wait, Teacher of the Year at her school, converted their dining room into a play room that rivals the finest of class rooms!  It is adorable, and amazingly, kid friendly at any age!  I am not quite sure how did that.  That must be why she got that award!!  David and I watched Julianna and Owen playing in there and realized that we had some work to do to create an environment more conducive to a toddler in our home.  It is funny, in a ha-ha kind of way, that the kids move out and you start getting the house like you always wanted it.  Then along comes a grandchild and we are back to guest rooms with cribs and toy corners of the living room! 

So, armed with my list of items that Julianna seemed to enjoy at Kristen's house, I went to a great little children's consignment store here in Vero Beach, Kidz Closet.  (Kristen told me about this place, as well.  What would I do without her?!)  If you live anywhere near here and have kids, you need to go check it out!  It is great!  I have gotten almost all of the things I use here at the house from their store.  Some of it has been brand new and never used.  They have EVERYTHING you could possibly need.  I spent $29 and got a booster seat with a tray (like a high chair), four toys, four books, and two very nice outfits. When I was shopping the stores for the booster seat, the best I found was $25 at Wal-Mart.  Score!!!  I was ready for week two, of Granny Camp for Toddlers.

The night before Julianna came over, our Son, CJ brought over a huge box from his work to make a little fort for her to play in.  He cut out little windows and a sky light.  Nothing but the best for his niece!  When CJ was a kid, he loved playing with sticks and boxes.  About the only toy that he loved was Lego's.  He wanted to be outside, as did all of our children.  But he made all kinds of things with stuff he found in the yard.  Bows and arrows out of Scheffelera sticks, as well as mole traps with the same sticks plus string.  We had mole traps all over our yard!  And boxes made great forts.  So he was proud to present Julianna with her first box, I mean, fort!
 
Julianna loved her toys and they kept her quite busy practicing using them.  Little minds never cease to bring a sense of wonder to me!  We had a good time playing together.  Then I remembered the fort out in the garage and brought it in.  Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!  Julianna's favorite new toy is.....the box!!  I will let the pictures do the talking.

Moving in!


Making it her own.
Notice the name in blocks over the entrance.

She loves the Sky Light!

And this years Favorite Uncle Award goes to...
Uncle C.J.!
It just goes to show you, you don't have to spend a lot of money to make a child happy!  $29, a cardboard box and lots of love go a long way!

1 comment:

  1. I am loving these pictures! The one where she is looking up through the skylight is awesome!

    So what do you mean parenting has changed? I need your insights!

    ReplyDelete